Last day to register for the Be Mom Strong Virtual Gym until May 1st! $15/month (or $13.50 for BMS Facebook members) for the App complete with 18 workout videos. Great for working out at your convenience and for adding strength to your existing cardio routine! Register HERE.
How was everyone’s weekend? So Easter happened a little early around here this year…
Yes, we had fans blowing for that dramatic look. And yes, I’ve consumed far more of the candy in those little eggs than she.
And for no reason at all this happened
For a second I’m going to say this “single serving” is a contributor the our country’s weight issues. But then I’m going to immediately say it was worth every yummy calorie. Thank you again Shyndigz. Thankfully we are not in RVA next weekend or this would become an epidemic in our household.
Thankfully Boho Cycle spun me out the very next morning. My sister in law came from out of town and I forced to go with me. Nice, relaxing Saturday morning 😉 She loved it though.
So, being that I’m attempting ot make this an informational blog, I thought I’d send you on a pantry hunt today to see if anyone of these were lurking.
Foods to Avoid
1. Fructose- I mean sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup. I realize fructose is in fruit, but it’s paired equally with glucose. Your body does well with this even pairing. Sweetener fructose promotes inflammation and can cause your liver to become less sensitive to insulin. It also does not trigger an insulin response, so those “I’m full” signals don’t get out there.
Sugar has been proven to be more addictive than heroine and cocaine. BEWARE!
2. Trans Fats- you’ve heard enough about it and it’s now banned, so no worries!
3. Juices- it’s just sugar water! Squeeze a lemon or orange into your water. KIDS DO NOT NEED JUICE. Yes, it can be a celebratory thing, but KIDS DO NOT NEED JUICE. Give them the real fruit instead!
4. Preservatives- If something has a really long shelf-life, imagine what it’s doing in your stomach. Eat food that spoils, preferably before it spoils. Frozen food is NOT always a bad thing. Meats, veggies and fruits can be frozen instantly after catching/picking. Just check the freezing process (frozen immediately, versus frozen after getting her from Chile).
5. Artificial Colors- Use tumeric or spices to turn things colors!
6. Artificial Sweeteners- They increase our cravings for sweets and mess with our brain signals. If you’re eating something that would taste awful without sugar, DON’T EAT IT! Instead, eat dark chocolate! It’s actually good for you in regular doses.. probably not my bar a day doses. BUT GOOD NEWS– You have to eat chocolate everyday to reap the benefits. So let’s just make that chocolate brownie a daily thing.
Food you don’t really have to avoid but can most certainly live without
1. Dairy- Cows are eating more corn these days. Don’t mess with Mother Nature, they weren’t meant to eat corn. Therefore, their makeup is now different than it used to be and we aren’t getting the nutrients we used to be getting. You can get calcium from SO many other sources. In fact, many countries that don’t eat diary have a lower incidence of osteoporosis than the US!
2. Wheat/grains- Celiac Disease is more prevalent today because SO much stuff is made of wheat. Our ancestors used to eat a VARIETY of grains- wheatberries, quinoa, etc. We tend to focus just on one on the most random products (there is more wheat in soy sauce than soy!). GLUTEN-FREE is not always a healthier choice.
Now that you’ve cleaned out your pantry, put a few of these in…