Resistant Starches

Sounds appetizing doesn’t it?  For your gut flora, it is!

sutton

YUM!

What are resistant starches?

Starches are long chains of glucose that are found in grains, potatoes and various foods.  But not all of the starch we eat gets digested.  Sometimes a small part of it passes through the digestive tract unchanged.In other words, it is resistant to digestion. SOURCE

So why would we want to eat something that’s resistant to being digested?

Because it feeds our good bacteria!  Resistant starches go through the stomach and small intestine undigested, eventually reaching the colon where it feeds the friendly bacteria in the gut.  Other foods we eat feed about 10% of our cells, but these feed the other 90%

So how can I add them to my diet?

Grab some unripe bananas, plantains, cooked and cooled rice, legumes and potatoes.  The cooking and cooling process  turns some of the digestible starches into resistant starches.  On a low-carb diet?  Bob’s Red Mill Raw Potato Starch has been suggested by some experts as a supplement.  Always consult with your doc before consuming any supplements, however.

Here is a great post giving you even more info on RS.

Here’s how I’ve been adding them

Roasted and and cooled purple potato “chips.”

Roasted and cooled plantain chips. We like chips.  Although the greener the plantain the better!

Veggie burgers made with any type of legume.

If you are interested in learning more about gut health, join my group!

guthealth

Fill in the form below to join!

What are your favorite recipes using this type of starch?

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Resistant Starches

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s